Thursday, February 17, 2011

Forget Best Actor, What About Best Slow Clapping?

As the Academy Awards show approaches (Feb. 27), I would like to recognize one of my favorite movie genres, Underdog Sports Movies with Slow Clapping.  The Academy does not recognize this category, but it's my favorite for several reasons: sentimentality (the old lump-in-the-throat), poignant father-son issues, and lots of slow motion action scenes and fans cheering in slow motion. I give you now the Dana Award list of best underdog sports movies (with and without slow clapping).

  1. Rudy -- the father of all underdog sports movies with slow clapping. When I first saw this movie, I cried so hard Gerard thought there was something wrong with me. I've seen it at least 10 times and it gets me every time. That scrappy Rudy. All he's got is a dream and guts and he has to fight class bias, poverty, and his size. There are father-son issues all over this movie. Rudy's got heart, dammit. Lumps in the Throat: 5 out of 5.
  2. The Natural -- okay so technically no slow clapping in this one but there are several slow motion scenes of Robert Redford running the bases against a star-filled background and teammates jumping in the air in slow motion. Great actors and beautifully shot. A movie about having integrity and doing your best.  And Robert Redford.  Lumps in the Throat: 3 out of 5.
  3. The Rookie -- who wouldn't tear up a little when a middle-aged Dennis Quaid calls home to tell his young son that dad has been called up to the Big Leagues? Baseball?  Check. Underdog? Check. Father-son sentimentality? Check. And slow clapping.  Lumps in the Throat: 3 out of 5.
  4. Friday Night Lights -- sentimental father-son issues all over this one. Despite my aversion to Billy Bob Thornton, this one makes the list for great underdog moments, good acting, and realistic Southern accents. Cross reference with high school coming of age movies.  Lumps in the Throat: 4 out of 5.
  5. Hoosiers -- they're poor, one of the coaches hits the bottle, and several of the players have father-son issues. A classic. Lumps in the Throat: 2 out of 5.
  6. Remember the Titans -- a sports team overcoming racism, Denzel Washington, and a horrible car crash almost destroys the team. What more could you ask for? Lumps in the Throat: 4 out of 5.
  7. National Velvet -- definitely an underdog sports movie although no slow clapping in this one. Little Liz Taylor just rides her guts out and I tear up every time during the part when the Pie gets sick. Cross reference with girl power/female athlete stories. Lumps in the Throat: 3 out of 5.
  8. Any Given Sunday -- not exactly an underdog team, but maybe an underdog coach story? Al Pacino looks so hangdog in this. There are some great macho slow motion scenes with bone-crushing hits and you can actually get a feel for what choreographed football plays are like. Lumps in the Throat: 1 out of 5.
  9. Varsity Blues -- this one is a cross between an underdog sports movie and a high school coming of age tale. There's a mean coach, a pig, and lot of guy bonding. And slow clapping. Lumps in the Throat: 1 out of 5.
Honorable mention goes to A League of their Own (cross reference with girl power/female athlete stories). "Are you crying? There's no crying in baseball."  Gerard would also like me to mention that the movie Not Another Teen Movie makes fun of slow clapping and a couple of the movies on my list. Sure, underdog sports films with slow clapping may be easy prey for parodies, but where would we be without them?

Comment and add your own movies to my list if you dare.

5 comments:

  1. I would like to recognize the recent Marky-Mark football film. No slow clapping, but there was nightime, slow-motion, playing in the rain. I also include most dance movies in the sports-underdog category. They usually do have slow clapping, slow-motion montages and almost always have the sentimental "outcast vs society" theme. "Breakin" being the best of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. The Marky Mark movie, Invincible, should be on the list. It's not as good as Rudy, but there were a lot of scenes of playing in the rain. I don't put dance movies in the same category, but if I were making a separate dance movie list I would recommend Step Up and Step Up 2 The Streets as well as Breakin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we should consider Forget Marshall...recently saw most of it, errr some of it on regular TV - not DVR - and it was pretty good. I'd like more explanation on slow clapping and that will help me with my analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we are going to include Invincible, with Marky Mark trying to convert his Boston accent to a South Philly accent (unsuccessful!) and Elizabeth Banks being able to walk the streets of South Philly, wearing a Giants shirt, unharmed, then we have to throw back a bit and talk about Rocky. Lots of slow motion views of crowd cheering, punches being thrown, spit and blood sloooowwwlly flying through the air,, accurate portrayal of Philly sports fans -- now and then, proper Philly music (funk/classic rock), clothes (pimpin') and accents. And the greatest underdog love story (Yo Adrienne!). The commercial success of Rocky did alot to inspire the genre of heart-string plucking sports dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought about Rocky but didn't include it b/c to me it's as much a love story as an underdog sports movie, but I see your point. And, having lived in Philly myself, I can tell you that every tourist runs up the stairs of the Philadelphia Museum of Art and puts their fists in the air while someone takes a photo, as in the famous Rocky scene. So it is certainly an enduring movie. And I agree that if you tried to wear a Giants shirt in south Philly, you would certainly be harmed. I did not even try to wear my Braves shirts when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete